Can I get a visa to work in Australia as a Doctor ?

I am a fully qualified GP from Scotland and am getting sick of the cold winters.

I would like to migrate to Australia and am interested in getting a visa but don’t know how to go about it.

What do I do?

Add Comment
  • Advertisement:

  • 1 Answer(s)
    Best answer

    To be eligible for an Australian visa, you need to work in an occupation that is on the ‘Skilled Occupations’ list, maintained by the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection. See here

    The medical profession is listed as one of the Skilled Occupations on that list.

    Most overseas trained doctors and Foreign Graduates of an Accredited Medical School need a visa to practice in Australia.

    General practitioners, specialists and hospital non-specialists can apply for a visa if:

    you got your primary medical qualification in a country other than Australia
    or you got your medical qualifications in Australia but you’re not an Australian permanent resident.

    The Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) allows skilled workers to come to Aust​ralia and work for an approved business for up to four years.

    You must be sponsored by an approved business. A business can sponsor someone for this visa if they cannot find an Australian citizen or permanent resident to do the skilled work.
    You can be in or outside Australia​ when you lodge your application.

    More information is available from the booklet Temporary Work (Skilled) (subclass 457) visa

    For a step by step guide please see the Doctor Connect site here.

    You will need to contact an Australian Immigration Lawyer or service skilled in the medical employment or engagement field.

    Legal Eagle Answered on 15 September 2015.
    Add Comment

    Your Answer

    By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.