My husband is becoming violent. What are my rights?

My husband and I live in Rockhampton, Queensland.

We have been married for ten years. We have four children between the ages of eight and two.

When we first got married he was kind and gentle. But we then struck tough financial times. He lost his job and began drinking heavily.

Since then he has been in and out of work and hanging out with an unsavoury pub crowd.

When he is pissed he likes to beat me up when I complain about his drinking. When he sobers up he apologises and says he loves me.

I can’t take it anymore and am not going to let my children grow up in this environment.

What can I do?

Add Comment
  • Advertisement:

  • 1 Answer(s)

    Everyone has the right to live without fear of violence or abuse. The Domestic and Family Violence Protection Act 2012 was created to give people legal protection from violent relationships. If you are experiencing violence in a relationship you can:

    • apply for a domestic violence order to help stop the violence
    • apply for an urgent temporary protection order
    • ask the police to press charges against the person being violent.

    You can contact specialist family and domestic violence services to help you work out a plan to leave the relationship safely. You can call DV Connect on 1800 811 811 FREE, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Legal Aid Queensland, a family relationship centre or the Family Relationship Advice Line can refer you to other specialist family violence services in your area.

    If there is family violence or you have been threatened, you may get help from the police. If you are at immediate risk of harm, ring the police straight away.

    If you can, take important documents and items for you and your children if they are leaving with you. See Separation for a list of items you may need. Do not put yourself in danger by arguing over belongings if you are leaving a relationship.

    Legal Eagle Answered on 10 September 2015.
    Add Comment

    Your Answer

    By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.