I’ve been struck by a car which fled the scene. Who do I sue?

Recently I was walking across the pedestrian crossing at traffic lights in Queen Street in Brisbane at 11pm when a car sped down the street and hit me. I ended up in the RBH with severe injuries, including and broken leg, broken arm and spinal injuries.

I am wanting to claim compensation but do not know who to sue as I did not get the vehicle’s number plate and the miserable bugger who was driving did not even have the courtesy to stop. Thankfully, some kind people nearby called the ambulance and stayed with me until they arrived.

What do I do about making a claim?

Add Comment
  • Advertisement:

  • 1 Answer(s)
    Best answer

    Report the incident to the police and approach a personal injury lawyer with a view to sue the Nominal Defendant.

    The Nominal Defendant is a statutory body established under the MotorĀ Accident Insurance Act 1994 (MAI Act)Ā for the purpose of compensating people who are injured as a result of the negligent driving of unidentified and/or uninsured (no Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance) motor vehicles. The Nominal Defendant Fund was first introduced in 1961.

    Law Noob Answered on 28 August 2015.
    Add Comment

    Your Answer

    By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.